T stands for the First Tuedsay in May

 
Well we have rounded an other corner, in 2016, and have landed in MAY!! Holy Moly.....or should that be Mole'?....since Cinco De Mayo is right around the corner....LOL! Never the less it is time to meet up with the T-Gang over at the Altered Book Lover Blog and see what everybody is drinking.
 
As usual I am drinking coffee...black....thank you.  I came into my craft room to ponder this canvas, that is propped up on Betsy. Of course I had sat my coffee cup( didn't see the drips till now)  and glasses right in front....then remembered that it is Tuesday, grabbed the camera and here I am!
 
I've had this idea, in my head, for sometime and finally acted on it yesterday.  I had bought 2 of these denim canvases last summer for Camp Grandma and we never got around to using them.  I did attempt a painting on one.......might share that later.....but found denim REALLY hard to paint on....even with Gesso going down first.  So that left this one still wrapped in cellophane.

 
Here is the first step of getting everything glued down.  The whole idea started with a pocket I'd cut off a pair of old jeans.  I really enjoyed just messing about with found objects and modeling paste, and yes, all the items in the pocket are glued in there really well and are old or no longer used.
 
Then I took it outside and sprayed it with Primer......hoping that will help seal it a little so I can add some paint and color. I had to let it sit outside all afternoon because of the smell!  I am going to give it a good coat of Gesso before I add the paint......hoping that all the paint won't soak INTO the denim.......AGAIN!
 
Friday is our monthly luncheon for the Bakersfield Bucket List Bunnies, and this month we are asked to dawn a Derby style hat in honor of the Kentucky Derby this Saturday.  Since I have ALWAYS wanted a "Derby" hat, and I tend to be a "hat" fanatic, I didn't need to be asked more than once.  I did do a little research on them before making mine.....Pinterest led me to You Tube and I was amazed at how much information there was on both these sites.
 
 
So this is my Derby hat. 
Hat from Target, flowers form $$ store feathers and tulle from Michael's Craft store.

 
From the side.
I have never been to the Kentucky Derby, but always thought it would be a lot of fun.  There was a time I kept up on the horses (no, no betting here).  We did go to the Del Mar track, here in California, YEARS ago and I loved the whole atmosphere......such magnificent animals! 
 
"What sets the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks apart from other sports and entertainment events? It's the hats!
Part Southern tradition, part spectacle, the Kentucky Derby hat parade is much of what makes "The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports" one of the greatest people-watching events in the world!
The long-established fashion was started with Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark Jr.'s vision for the Derby as an event that the high-class would attend, similar to European-style racing events, which mandated full morning dress for men and women. For the first running of the Kentucky Derby, he used high-class women to recruit his target clientele to attend the race. The event quickly became just as much about the fashion as the racing. Going to a horse racing event became an opportunity to show off the latest in spring fashion and women were known to coordinate their hats, dresses, bags, shoes, and even parasols.
The extravagant hats that have become associated with the Kentucky Derby did not really come around until the 1960s, when social fashion norms loosened up and the presence of television gave women a reason to stand out. The hats became larger, brighter, and more extravagant.
Hats at the Kentucky Derby have become even more popular after the royal wedding in 2011, an event that showcased many elaborate hats and fascinators."

Here, or at least at Del Mar, the hats are worn only on Opening Day.

What else is happening this week?  I am starting my first golf lesson on Thursday morning!! WOOT! WOOT!  The last name drawn, from the Bucket List Bunnies...bucket list, was Mary and she wanted golf lessons, but didn't want to do it alone.  So there were a couple of us that volunteered to join her, only we have to pay for our lessons.  My hubby and both my sons play golf.....so I thought I'd learn too.....plus it is really good exercise!

Well, my coffee cup is sitting here empty......how's your cup, empty too?  I know it, was a long post, so long it is now time for me to go make my protein drink for breakfast.....then off to check out the other T-gang and see what's going on for this T stand for Tuesday!

Inky Hugs
Krisha

Comments

Valerie-Jael said…
Wow, Krisha, golf and Derby and that wonderful hat, what a swish time you will have - enjoy! Love your canvas, great idea. Enjoy your black coffee, and have a great T Day, hugs, Valerie
Anonymous said…
love your hat and a good idea with that canvas
Linda Kunsman said…
fabulous KD hat!! I do watch it and only once a few years ago went to a party. It was SO much fun! Looking forward to seeing how you finish your already great looking canvas. Good luck with the golf lessons, and a happy T day!
Cara said…
Loving your canvas, that pocket is just so darn cute with everything peeking out. You did a grand job with your Derby hat too. Hope the golfing lessons go well. Cara x
Meggymay said…
Saying Hello on T Day. I have enjoyed reading your post and seeing your fabulous art and of course the stunning Hat. Love the words on you cup.
Yvonne
I love your hat and found your information on the Kentucky Derby interesting! The canvas is looking good! Happy T day Chrisx
Barb said…
Hi Krisha, What a wonderful canvas and such a great idea. As for the Derby Hat it is absolutely stunning. You'll look like Belle of the Ball wearing that beauty. Barbxx
Carol said…
OH!!!!! I love your hat ♥♥♥♥ I'm a hat lover from way back and own several although I must admit I haven't worn one in years---other than garden hats of which I have a bunch it several styles. :)
Personally, I love the canvas just the way it is. I wouldn't do anything else to it, but what can I say!

Gotta love the derby. We have a hat place in town that sells some as outrageous as the ones worn in 2011 by the Queen's entourage. I LOVE yours. It is very well done, too.

How thoughtful that you are going to join a friend for golf lessons. I'm sure you will have fun, since you have family that enjoys the sport, too.

Thanks for sharing your canvas, your hat, and your coffee with us for T this Tuesday. See you on the golf course!
~*~Patty S said…
Great hat for the special occasion...
Enjoy * Enjoy the golf too Krisha.
Brilliant use of the jean pocket on your denim canvas...looks very cool already!
Happy T Day oxo
johanna said…
i think the denim pocket is a perfect part of the canvas - and i like it as it is. my taste really!
the hat is cool, though i´m not a hat Person (head too big LOL) i like the look very much! have fun!!
have a great week, krisha!
Clare said…
Wonderful projects! I love that pocket!